When shopping for a front door, there are a number of factors to consider: design, color, durability, security, energy efficiency, and much more. So what door will fit the look and needs of your home the best? Before beginning a door installation project, carefully consider the advantages and disadvantages of each door type. Here are three of the most common door materials to choose from:
• Advantages: high end and quality look; beautiful wood grain; warm feel and touch; scratches are easy to repair; wood makes a secure door; additions and alterations, such as a new wood stain, can be easily applied.
• Disadvantages: more expensive than doors made of steel or fiberglass; absorbs moisture, which can cause peeling, bubbling and warping over time; will fade; not very energy efficient; requires a moderate amount of maintenance.
• Advantages: lower maintenance; no cracking or bowing; most secure material; sound reducing; longer life spans when compared to other materials; fireproof; energy efficient; variety of colors and styles available.
• Disadvantages: can be easily dented; paint tends to chip; scratches can lead to rust; steel doors are temperature sensitive, which makes them cold or hot to touch depending on the outside air temperature.
• Advantages: lowest maintenance; resistant to denting and scratches; offers wood grain and smooth finish look similar to a wood door; energy efficient; can be painted or stained; won't warp, bow, or twist.
• Disadvantages: low quality fiberglass doors can crack; typically have a shorter life span when compared to other materials; often not very secure.
Regardless of which door material you choose, the most crucial element is the person you choose to install the door. A1 Handyman provides expert door installation services that serve the needs of a variety of homes and entryway designs. Call A1 Handyman at (208) 995-6457 and schedule your next door installation or repair project today.